Aluminun wheel sharpening could make solid factory-machine-polished wheels seem like new! You’ll even have the ability to get a customized look by portray or powder-coating accent areas previous to a last protectant coating. Utilizing Eastwood’s Wheel Smoothing and Buffing Kit, we have been in a position to take an previous BMW 325i “bottle cap” wheel from uninteresting to raised than new situation. This works with nearly any aluminum wheel you select to shine and buff.
Earlier than beginning the stripping course of or buffing, be sure you learn and cling to Eastwood’s Security Precautions discovered within the instruction booklet included with the product; paint strippers are poisonous. Additionally, buffing wheels function at over 2000 rpm, and will doubtlessly throw off bits of fabric and compound.
It’s a good suggestion to place down a plastic drop material and put on chemical-resistant clothes whereas utilizing the stripper. Make sure you put on rubber gloves and suitable eye protection. You’ll additionally want a plastic paint scraper (a putty knife will do, as will plastic filler spreaders), non-woven abrasive pads, a pure bristle brush, and loads of clear water.
GENERAL WHEEL PREPARATION AND INSPECTION
Take away tire from wheel to acquire greatest outcomes – This fashion your wheel may be completely inspected, cleaned, buffed or painted across the whole bead space.NOTE: If tire can’t be eliminated, tape and defend it if chemical strippers are for use to take away previous finishes.
Fully clear wheel – Use a cleaning soap and water answer to take away street tar and contaminants. Eastwood’s PRE (#10041Z) is good for eradicating cussed street tar.
Absolutely examine wheels – Examine whole wheel for cracks, particularly round bead and lug nut areas. If discovered, search out knowledgeable to have repairs achieved or exchange wheel.
Take away the previous end – Use Paint Stripper to take away paint, powder coating or clear coats. Brush stripper on in a single course solely. Comply with directions on container. Take away coating utilizing both a plastic scraper or a Scuff pad. Reapply stripper to any remaining areas, let sit per directions, then scrub space with pad to take away coating. Flush wheel with loads of chilly water to take away paint stripper.
Eradicating minor imperfections – As soon as your wheels are completely cleaned and inspected, take away minor scratches, nicks or bead harm utilizing recordsdata and sandpaper. Mix in with the encircling space to a 320 grit end. Don’t take away any vital quantities of steel, particularly from weld areas on two piece wheels.
SMOOTH ROUGH CAST OR MACHINED ALUMINUM USING WHEEL SMOOTHING KIT (#13107)
- 1. Strip any paint, powder coating, or clear coat, following directions above.
- 2. Mount a 4” spiral buff (#13035) on an electrical/pneumatic drill or flex shaft (2500 rpm minimal). Apply 80 grit greaseless compound (#13129) to buff then let buff sit till compound hardens (10-15 minutes). To enhance flexibility, strike coated floor with a screwdriver deal with. Buff wheel in a single course, cleansing buff as required utilizing a buff rake and reapplying compound as wanted. Buff your magazine wheel 90° or as shut as doable from first go (see figures 1 & 2). Proceed till all tough areas or machine marks are eliminated.
- 3. Clear magazine wheel with scorching soapy water to take away 80 grit compound residue. Proceed with the 220 grit compound (#13131) and a new 4” buff (#13035). Buff wheel 90° from final go (see determine 1 & 2) round contour of the wheel. Clear buff as essential utilizing a buff rake and reapply compound (permitting 10-15 min. hardening time ). Proceed smoothing till all 80 grit marks are eliminated, alternating 90° from earlier go as described above and cleansing buff as required.
- 4. Clear wheel with scorching soapy water answer to take away earlier residue. End smoothing with the 320 grit compound (#13132) and a brand new 4” buff till a easy leveled floor is achieved. If tremendous scratches stay return to step Three and repeat the method to take away.
- 5. Completely clear magazine wheel with scorching soapy water to take away all greaseless residue, then use PRE (#10041Z) or acetone earlier than ending.
- 6. At this level the wheel has a satin end (320 grit) which may be clear coated with our Diamond Clear (#10200Z, aerosol), or primed with Self Etching Primer and painted. If a mirror shine is desired use our Buffing Kit (#13105) and comply with the instructions under.
BUFF TO A MIRROR SHINE USING WHEEL BUFFING KIT (#13105)
TIPS: Work small areas of the wheel at a time and examine your work often. Let the compound do the work, use gentle constant strain as an alternative of bearing down on the buff. Proceed till your complete wheel has been buffed to a shine. Cleansing the buff often and reapplying compound to keep away from tremendous scratches from materials buildup on the buff. Don’t use multiple compound on every buff. Retailer buff with the suitable compound in a zipper lock plastic bag.
- 1. Utilizing an electrical/pneumatic drill or flex shaft (2500 rpm min.), set up 4” spiral buff (#13035) on arbor (#13064) and apply tripoli compound (#13135). Buff all areas of wheel, clear buff as essential utilizing the buff rake (#13120) and reapply compound. Alternate buffing angle 90° from earlier go
- 2. Set up a brand new Tapered Goblet buff (#13045), on buff taper (#13053) and apply tripoli compound. Buff all edges and contours spiral buff can not attain. Eastwood additionally carries a whole line of smaller buffs and felt bobs for tighter radius areas.
- 3. Clear magazine wheel with PRE (#10041Z) or scorching soapy water to take away all residual compound. (Residual Tripoli compound can compromise outcomes.)
- 4. Set up new 4” free section wheel (#13042) and apply white rouge compound (#13001). Buff wheel 90° from first go, (or as near 90° as form of the wheel permits). Proceed till desired end is achieved, stopping to examine work often. Transfer buff with course of buff wheel rotation to take away tremendous scratches.
- 5. Set up new magazine wheel buff (#13045) and apply white rouge compound. Buff all areas not reached by free part buff till desired end is achieved.
- 6. Completely clear wheel with PRE (#10041Z) or scorching soapy water, to verify all compound has been faraway from wheel.
CREATE CONTRAST FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT
Since our wheel was initially painted within the deeper nooks and crannies, we need to create the identical distinction or drama in opposition to the brand new chrome-like shine of the principle floor, fins and rim. We decided we’d paint these areas with Eastwood’s Silver Argent Rally Wheel Paint. We started masking-off the rim space by making use of masking tape over the clear, freshly polished steel. An X-Acto knife was used to trim the tape by merely working across the interior fringe of the wheel and peeling away the surplus. We coated our fundamental floor space with masking tape as effectively, trimming away the surplus tape with the X-Acto knife.
We have been now prepared to start the ultimate end coating stage. We painted a light-weight however even coat of Eastwood’s Self-Etch Primer on the recessed surfaces to guarantee the paint would bond with the naked steel. After the primer had about 15 minutes to dry, we sprayed the open areas with the Silver Argent wheel paint. The tip consequence was a good looking chrome-like shine on all of our greater surfaces, offset by the satiny silver tough case areas of the insets.
PRESERVE THAT LIKE-NEW FINISH
To maintain that mirror shine apply a protecting coating of wax, Eastwood’s Diamond Clear for Bare Metal, or higher nonetheless, powder coat with the Hot Coat Powder Coating System. If a painted end is desired, prime wheel with Eastwood’s Self Etching Primer after which high coat with desired coloration. For those who want to clear coat a painted wheel for added safety and enhanced appears to be like, we advocate Eastwood’s Diamond Clear for Painted Surfaces.