The iconic Mugello circuit in Italy is looking increasingly likely to host a race during this year’s shortened Formula 1 World Championship and it could take place on the weekend of Ferrari’s 1,000th Grand Prix.
According to reports out of Europe, Mugello will host its first-ever Grand Prix on the weekend of September 11-13, just one week after the Italian Grand Prix in Monza. This news comes shortly after Ferrari ran a private test at the Mugello circuit with Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc and the 2018 SF71H car to get their drivers ready for the start of the season next month.
“It was great to once again get those feelings from a car and to do so at such a spectacular track. I really think Mugello deserves to host a Formula 1 Grand Prix,” Vettel said after the test. “I hadn’t driven it for eight years, so it took a few laps for me to get used to the track and then I really enjoyed myself.”
Full gallery at Ferrarif1.com#essereFerrari 🔴 #BackOnTrack #WeGoAgain
Ferrari just so happens to own the Mugello circuit, so it is little surprise it has pushed for it to be included in the calendar.
As if this news wasn’t enough to excite Italian F1 fans, it has been revealed that Imola is also pushing for a Formula 1 race this year. The circuit has not hosted a round of F1 since 2006 but was recently selected by the AlphaTauri F1 team as the location for a filming day earlier this week.
“Imola has F1 in its DNA and on this track the history of F1 has taken place, it must not be forgotten and we must be rightly proud of it,” circuit boss Uberto Selvatico Estense told Inside Racing. “Looking ahead, and with an eye to the local economy in this serious moment of crisis, our goal is to bring back the top series to Imola’s circuit from this year.”
Imola’s boss is pushing for the race to be held alongside the races in Monza and Imola, making for an Italian triple-header over three consecutive weekends.
Opening Image Scuderia Ferrari