CONTENTS OF THE KIT
IMPORTANT SAFETY GUIDELINES
- – Put on eye safety akin to our Full Face Mask (13123) or Goggles (43090) always when utilizing carbide burrs or abrasive rolls.
- – At all times put on a correctly becoming Mud Masks.
- – It’s higher to scrape away previous gaskets which will include asbestos than to make use of abrasives on an influence instrument. This can cut back the chance of getting asbestos particles within the air!
- – Don’t put on unfastened becoming clothes. In case your hair is lengthy, tie it again.
- – Clamp manifold firmly to a bench or place it securely in a vice.
- – Use minimal stress in opposition to abrasive for longest life and to keep away from bending mandrels.
- – Don’t use abrasive rolls or carbide burr in extra of 22,000 rpm!
- See proprietor’s guide for correct process for exhaust manifold elimination.
- – Degrease manifold with a heavy responsibility degreaser akin to Metal Wash (10120), or PRE Painting Prep (10041Z)
- – Put on disposable gloves, like our Disposable Nitrile Gloves, to keep away from contaminating the cleaned floor.
- – Study manifold for apparent defects, akin to pinholes, warpage, or cracks. Change or restore faulty manifolds earlier than smoothing.
Utilizing a Carbide Bead Burr (comes with Deluxe Package)
A carbide burr can pace your work by rapidly leveling tough pits or casting flash. Maintain the spinning burr transferring when in touch with the floor to keep away from creating an uneven floor. Train care to not minimize by the casting wall on older severely rusted manifolds.
TIP: In case you are utilizing a pneumatic die grinder, regulate the air stress right down to the specified pace in order that the set off might be fully depressed, assuring a safe grip and higher management of the instrument.
Utilizing Abrasive Rolls
Clean the manifold utilizing the die grinder with the included 4″ mandrel and 80 grit cartridge rolls and tapers. In case you used a carbide burr to start the smoothing course of, work the 80 grit cartridges at about 90° to the earlier burr scratches.
TIP: Utilizing 60 grit flap disks on an angle grinder can pace up smoothing on giant, flat surfaces and curves. They’re out there in 4″ and 41⁄2″ sizes.
NOTE: Train care to keep away from injury to gasket surfaces. Eastwood’s Gasket Cleansing Package (46055) is good for eradicating previous gasket materials with out injury to the floor. Warning: If the previous gasket materials incorporates asbestos, use paint remover and scrape by hand to forestall asbestos from changing into airborne. Eliminate asbestos materials in accordance with native rules.
NOTE: In case you plan to match the cylinder head exhaust port to the gasket dimension: present excessive efficiency engine constructing follow signifies the exhaust manifold opening must be bigger than the cylinder head exhaust ports to create a step that inhibits exhaust gases from flowing again into the combustion chamber. The Eastwood Porting Kit (46056) supplies full particulars.
• As soon as the pits have been smoothed out utilizing the 80 grit cartridge rolls go over the 80
grit scratches at proper angles with the 120 grit abrasive rolls till all 80 grit scratches
are eliminated and mix in surrounding space.
Closing Preparations for Coating
• Any remaining rust might be eliminated by abrasive blasting.
TIP: In case you want to impart a pure tough sand fortress look to the smoothed floor, do this method: use a bit of 36 or 40 grit sand paper to carry in opposition to the floor and gently hammer to switch some roughness to the floor.
NOTE: If utilizing rust remover, make sure to verify manifold each 20 minutes and take away rust remover when half is rust free. Leaving manifold in touch with rust remover longer than mandatory will injury the manifold.
• Wash manifold with and allow to dry before coating.
• Observe instructions on can of excessive temperature manifold coating for passable outcomes.
Eastwood supplies durable manifold coatings in 4 colours: Satin Black, Manufacturing unit Gray, and Silver.