Motorist Guidelines for Fall Automobile Care Month in October
The very last thing any driver wants is a automobile that breaks down in chilly, harsh winter climate. The Automobile Care Council recommends that automotive homeowners observe its Fall Automobile Care Month guidelines and examine their automobiles earlier than the temperatures drop and extreme climate hits.
Heating, Wipers & Lights
- Ensure heaters, defrosters and wipers work correctly.
- Take into account winter wiper blades and use cold-weather washer fluid. As a normal rule, wiper blades needs to be changed each six months.
- Examine to see that each one exterior and inside lights work and headlights are correctly aimed.
Tires & Brakes
- Examine the tire tread depth and tire strain of all tires, together with the spare. If snow and ice are an issue in your space, contemplate particular tires designed to grip slick roads.
- Throughout winter, tire strain needs to be checked weekly.
- Have the brakes checked. The braking system is the automobile’s most vital security merchandise.
Fuel, Oil & Filters
- Preserve your fuel tank a minimum of half full all through the chilly climate to forestall moisture from forming in fuel strains and presumably freezing.
- Be diligent about altering the oil and filter at really useful intervals. Soiled oil can spell bother in winter. Take into account altering to “winter weight” oil in the event you dwell in a chilly local weather.
- Examine the gas, air and transmission filters on the identical time.
System Checks – Charging, Cooling & Exhaust
- Have the battery and charging system checked, as chilly climate is tough on batteries.
- Clear, flush and put new antifreeze within the cooling system. As a rule of thumb, this needs to be executed each two years.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which could be particularly harmful throughout chilly climate driving when home windows are closed.
Pack the Necessities
- Ensure that your ice scraper and snow brush are accessible and able to use.
- Inventory an emergency package with jumper cables, a flashlight, blankets, further garments, bottled water, nonperishable meals and a primary help package with any wanted remedy.
- Order a free copy of the favored Automobile Care Information in your glove field by visiting www.carcare.org/car-care-guide.
“Winter magnifies present issues like laborious begins, sluggish efficiency and tough idling, so a bit of automotive care now could be a smart solution to keep away from being stranded out within the chilly later,” stated Nathan Perrine, government director, Automobile Care Council.” Whether or not you carry out the inspection and upkeep your self or go to a trusted restore store, it’s a small funding of money and time to assist keep away from the associated fee and problem of a breakdown in the course of the chilly winter months forward.”
Concerning the Automobile Care Council
The non-profit Automobile Care Council is the supply of knowledge for the “Be Automobile Care Conscious” shopper schooling marketing campaign selling the advantages of standard automobile care, upkeep and restore to shoppers. For the most recent automotive care information, go to the council’s on-line media room at http://media.carcare.org. To order a free copy of the favored Automobile Care Information, go to the council’s shopper schooling web site at www.carcare.org.