In line with the NHTSA, there have been over 33 thousand deadly auto accidents in 2018. However excluding the deadly accidents, there are nonetheless a number of million accidents that happen within the US annually. In the event you haven’t been in an accident earlier than, the probabilities of you understanding somebody who was, are very excessive.
You’ve all heard the saying, “put together for the worst and hope for one of the best” – In the event you’ve by no means been in an accident, you might not be as ready as you suppose. At present we cowl what NOT to do and what it is best to do if you happen to’re concerned in an auto accident.
We are going to cowl the entire fundamentals along with the issues most individuals don’t know if you happen to occur to land in an auto accident.
Don’t Go away the Scene of the Accident
Photograph credit score: Instagram / ronniecnyc
We requested the David Aylor auto accident law office in Charleston, SC, for his or her opinion, and regardless of who’s at fault, it’s by no means okay to go away the scene of an accident. It doesn’t matter how minor the accident is or if you’re late for work, leaving the scene of an accident is against the law.
Make sure you and your passengers are protected and interact the hazard lights in your automobile. If protected to take action, transfer your automobile to the facet of the highway, and away from visitors.
No matter you do, do NOT be like this guy. The motive force of this uncommon Gemballa Mirage GT is principally the poster boy of what to not do within the case of an accident.
Don’t Settle for Cash from Anybody Concerned within the Accident
It’s widespread for folks to give you cash at an accident scene to attempt to hush the state of affairs. This may increasingly appear to be the best and quickest method to have the state of affairs dealt with it nevertheless it comes with its downfalls. Repairs to your automobile needs to be put via insurance coverage as a result of, in a whole lot of instances, you possibly can’t at all times see every part that’s broken in your automobile on the scene of the accident.
In the event you’re not at fault, you don’t have to fret about deductibles or a mark in your driving report.
After you’ve made certain everyone seems to be protected and also you’ve referred to as 911, take footage of the accident scene and change info with the drivers concerned.
Guarantee to gather the next info:
- Telephone numbers
- License info
- Insurance coverage firm identify & coverage quantity
It’s additionally a good suggestion to canvas the scene for witnesses if the police haven’t finished so. This could imply individuals who had been strolling by or different motorists with dashcam footage. Fortunately, dashcams have grow to be reasonably priced and are utilized by a ton of automobile homeowners.
Don’t Signal Something!
Don’t signal something apart from a police report on the scene of an accident. In the event you occur to make a facet take care of one other and signal one thing, it might come again to hang-out you if the incident is taken to courtroom.
After the police have made a report and deemed a driver “at fault”, you possibly can then contact your insurance coverage firm instantly. The earlier you begin the method, the earlier it will likely be handled.
Don’t Have Your Automobile Repaired With out Getting the ‘OK’
Resist the pure impulse to right away drive to an auto physique restore store and have your car repaired – It’s comprehensible that nobody desires to drive round in a beat-up-looking supercar. Doing this will danger your insurance coverage firm from denying the restore price because it might not be an accredited restore location.
Contact your insurance coverage firm for a listing of really helpful restore places. You probably have a selected restore store in thoughts, it’s greatest to run that by your insurance coverage firm earlier than taking your automobile there. As soon as your insurance coverage firm has approved a location, the work carried out might be assured and paid for.
Photograph credit score: Pfaff Autoworks
For supercar homeowners, it is very important analysis restore retailers for high quality of labor and evaluations of labor finished. However along with buyer testimonials, a restore facility that’s Producer Licensed offers the reassurance the automobile will probably be repaired utilizing high quality components or physique panels.
Pictured under is a snapshot of Pfaff Autoworks. They occur to be positioned in Canada and are an ideal instance of a restore facility that’s Producer Licensed.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Keep calm, hold your self and others protected. In the event you can’t get out of your automobile, flip in your hazard lights. If anybody is injured, name 911.
- Take a look at the accident scene and just be sure you will not be at risk of being hit by one other automobile.
- Trade info with the opposite drivers concerned. Get their names, addresses, telephone numbers, licence info, insurance coverage firm identify and coverage quantity.
- Get hold of the contact info of any witnesses who’re on the scene.
- Take pictures of the accident, together with the harm to the automobile and highway situations.
- Name your insurance coverage firm instantly.
- Transfer anybody who’s injured – await medical assist to reach.
- Go away the scene of the accident.
- Settle for a direct supply of fee of harm from the opposite driver. Settling for direct fee might not be as advantageous because it appears. In the event you’re not at fault, the accident gained’t have an effect on your driving report nor will you need to pay a deductible.
- Signal any paperwork apart from the police report.
- Get your automobile repaired with out clearing it along with your insurance coverage firm; they might refer you to a restore facility the place the work is assured.